VOTER REGISTRATION – WHAT IS IT?
- It is the identification of citizens who can vote at an election
- It is the compilation of their personal details in a list called the voters’ register
QUALIFICATIONS FOR REGISTRATION
- He/she is a Nigerian citizen
- He/she is 18 years and above
- He/she is ordinarily resident in the ward or LGA where he intends to vote
- He/she is not subject to any legal incapacity to vote under any law, rules, regulations in force in Nigeria
ORDINARY RESIDENCE – WHAT IS IT?
- It is a place where a voter lives, sleeps as his usual abode
- It is not necessarily his LG or State of origin
- A voter may choose to travel to his LG or state of origin to register
VOTER’S CARD—WHAT IS IT?
- It is a registration card, a voter obtaines at the registration centre where he/she was registered as a voter
FEATURES OF VOTER’S CARD
- The Voter’s name
- The name of the state the voter is registered in
- The name of the LGA
- The Registration Area/Centre and code
- The voter’s Identification number
IMPORTANCE OF VOTER’S CARD
- Every voter is expected to keep his/her registration card safely
- He/she will use it on the day of voting6
- No other document will be accepted for identifcation in place of the registration card
- Without a voter’s card, a voter cannot cast his vote during an election
- A lost voter’s card can be replaced if proved
WHERE CAN A PERSON REGISTER?
- A person can register only once
- At the ward or LGA where he: resides; or works in gainful employement or originates (ie an indigene)